Personal Injury Lawyer Sandy Springs
Sometimes a person is harmed because of the actions of another individual or group. If you want to hold the responsible party accountable for their actions, then you will need an experienced personal injury attorney representing you.
Personal Injury Types
A person can file a personal injury claim for many types of injuries. Some of them include the following:
- Car accidents: Motor vehicle collisions involving cars are a frequent cause of emergency room visits. Among the most common types of car accident injuries are whiplash, soft-tissue injury, cuts, broken bones, and traumatic brain injuries. Georgia is a fault state, which means that the at-fault party’s insurance company is responsible for damages to injured parties. Our Sandy Springs car accident lawyers can review your case.
- Truck accidents: Large commercial vehicles can weigh from 30,000 to 80,000 lbs. depending on whether they are pulling a loaded trailer. Because of this, they present a unique danger to other vehicles on the roadway. Professional truck drivers are subject to enhanced regulations that can affect the outcome of a case.
- Motorcycle accidents: There are many motorcycles in operation around Sandy Springs, which means that motorcycle crashes are also common. Motorcycles are capable of traveling at extremely high speeds, but they are not as visible to drivers as cars and trucks. Additionally, they offer no protection to the rider, which means that motorcycle crashes often result in serious injuries.
- Bicycle accidents: Like motorcycles, bicycles have a much smaller profile than other vehicles, making them more difficult for drivers to see. In addition to bicycle vs. moving vehicle collisions, our Sandy Springs, Georgia law firm also represents the victims of “dooring” accidents.
- Pedestrian accidents: These include individuals walking, skateboarding, riding on scooters, etc. Pedestrians involved in motor vehicle accidents have the right to fair compensation from the at-fault party.
- Slip and fall accidents: The owners and operators of a premises that is accessible to the public have the responsibility of ensuring that the property is safe. Because slips, trips, and falls are by far the most common types of premises liability cases, personal injury lawyers often refer to them as “slip and fall cases.”
- DUI and Dram Shop Liability: Georgia law not only allows accident victims to pursue damages from a drunk driver who struck them but if a bar or restaurant over-served the negligent party knowing that they were likely to drive, they can recover damages from the business.
- Medical malpractice: When you seek a doctor for any reason, you expect them to provide you the standard of care any other competent physician in their field would provide. If you have been harmed by a doctor’s negligence or criminal intent, then an attorney who specializes in medical malpractice can help you.
- Dog bites: Pet owners are expected to keep their dogs on a leash and on their property. If you have been attacked or bitten by a dog, then a personal injury attorney will help you seek damages from the owner.
- Product liability/product defect: If you have been injured by a defective product while using it the way it was intended, then you can sue the manufacturer for the product malfunction or defect that led to your injuries.
- Workplace accidents: Filing a Worker’s Compensation claim is not as straightforward as it seems, but an experienced attorney can handle these types of personal injury claims. Additionally, workplace injuries can prove to be quite serious. The Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that the past five years have seen an increase in deadly accidents in the workplace.
Personal Injury Cases
As you can probably guess, each of these specializations has its own set of laws and prior cases that affect how each type is practiced. So, even if you have a friend that is a personal injury attorney, they may not practice the same type of personal injury law as another personal injury attorney. How you were injured determines what type of lawyer you need. At The Pendergrass Law Firm we specialize in:
- Bicycle accidents
- Car accidents
- Catastrophic injuries
- Motorcycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Truck accidents
- Slip and fall
- Dog bite
- Wrongful death
- Product liability
It’s important to note that no two personal injury cases are the same and each case is handled individually.
When Does An Injury Count As A Personal Injury Claim?
When someone owed you a duty of care and breached it, resulting in your injury that you had to seek medical treatment for, then it can count as a personal injury. An example would be if you were hit by a drunk driver. When a person signs their driver’s license, they agree to follow all traffic laws and to be sober behind the wheel under penalty of the law. The severity of your injuries is a significant factor in determining how much compensation you are entitled to. In order to establish the liability of the drunk driver, your attorney will have to establish that the driver had a duty to exercise reasonable care while operating a vehicle. When they negligently breached this because they were intoxicated while driving, then they failed to exercise that duty.
Do Different Types Of Insurance Policies Cover Different Types Of Injuries?
There are different types of auto insurance coverage:
- Property Damage Liability (PDL)
- Personal Injury Protection (PIP)
- Bodily Injury Liability (BIL)
- Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist (UM)
- Collision versus Comprehensive
Each of these covers a different aspect of your accident. You should be familiar with your policy and what it covers.
How Much Money Will I Be Able To Recover For My Personal Injury Claim?
There is no one set number even way to determine how much you are going to get in your personal injury claim compared to someone else. But there is a general formula that adjusters use that can help you get a better idea of what to expect. First, you need to understand the difference between economic and non-economic damages. Economic damages are those that can be calculated because there is a concrete number attached to them, such as the total amount of your medical expenses, and the total amount of lost wages from missing work.
Noneconomic damages are those that you can’t really put a price on, such as pain and suffering. When a person is injured, their very identity and ability to pursue their dreams in life without any obstacle is taken away from them. This could have profound emotional and psychological effects.
After your economic damages have been totaled, the sum is then increased by a multiplier that is between 1.5 and five. How high your multiplier is depends on the severity of your accident and injuries. Essentially, your pain and suffering are taken into consideration and given a value that is multiplied against your total economic damages.
For example, if you were injured in a minor accident and missed only a few days of work, resulting in $1,000 of lost wages, then your multiplier may be 1.5 because your injuries were not that serious. As a result, you would receive $1,500 in damages. However, if you were in a car accident and your child was permanently disfigured, and you lost several months of work to care for your child, then your multiplier may be five or even as high as 10.
Using this as a general guide gives you an idea of what the insurance adjuster will offer you. But there’s no way to find out what multiplier the adjuster will use. And you risk getting a lower offer if you do not hire a skilled and experienced personal injury lawyer in Sandy Springs. So give us a call at The Pendergrass Law Firm today to schedule your free consultation.
If you have additional questions, contact us for a free consultation with a Sandy Springs personal injury lawyer.
Can I Represent Myself In My Personal Injury Case? It’s Obvious The Other Party Is At Fault.
Your case may seem straightforward, but that may not be how the lawyers at the insurance company see your case. And they may try to take advantage of you because they know it’s unlikely someone without a law degree will know all the laws applicable to them. Don’t risk getting less than you deserve. Call us instead.
How Can I Afford a Sandy Springs Personal Injury Lawyer?
At a time when you see mounting costs from your medical care and you may not be able to earn a paycheck because of the injuries you’ve suffered, the last thing you need is another bill. At The Pendergrass Law Firm, our Sandy Springs personal injury lawyers will represent you on a contingency basis. That means we only get paid upon the successful outcome of your legal case. We offer free consultations without commitment, so call today.
How Much Time Do I Have to File a Claim in Georgia?
The statute of limitations for filing a claim is two years from the date of the accident. In wrongful death actions, it’s two years from the date of death.
Give Us A Call Today
At The Pendergrass Law Firm, we are ready to listen to your situation during your free consultation. It’s important to speak to a personal injury attorney right away because your medical bills will pile up, and you deserve compensation for your lost wages if you had to miss work. Our attorneys will guide you through the process and keep an open line of communication with you. We have recovered millions for our clients in personal injury cases. Give us a call today.